Harbor City International School aims to instill these 5 core values into the hearts and minds of our students, staff, and families:
- Respect: HCIS students, parents, and staff will be respectful of themselves and others, of individuality, and of the environment (both within the school and the greater environment). Respect will be seen in open, honest, and direct communication, using language that is sensitive and does not offend.
- Responsibility: Responsibility is seen in the HCIS community in active citizenship, professionalism, appropriateness (in dress and language), and timeliness. Responsibility will allow earned freedom. Students and Staff will serve as advocates to each other and to the greater community.
- Relationship: HCIS relationships will be caring, compassionate, supportive, accepting, and patient. The HCIS community, through practicing empathy, will build new relationships and deepen existing ones.
- Reach: The academic program at HCIS will be individualized, authentic, challenging, student centered, current, and inquiry based. Students and Staff are seen as learners in an environment where expectations are high, curiosity is encouraged, and work is done ethically. Together, students and staff will reach for their potentials—consistently striving for excellence.
- Resilience: The ability to persevere and bounce back from setbacks is a character quality that is recognized, valued and nurtured at HCIS. Our community celebrates the demonstration of grit and the ability to bounce back from obstacles with courage and fortitude.