About » About HCIS

About HCIS

Our Mission
Harbor City International School is a college preparatory, public high school. We are a small community whose mission is to nurture a sense of belonging, insist upon academic excellence, and graduate global citizens who eagerly pursue knowledge and enrich their communities.

I would like to take a tour of your school. Do I need to make an appointment?
We are happy to show our school to anyone interested in a tour, but we do ask that you make an appointment. Students wishing to tour the school before enrolling should seek prior approval from the administration and should make an appointment with Dawn Buck, our enrollment coordinator, by calling (218) 722.7574, ext. 225. Please note that all visitors and guests must sign in at the main office upon entering the building.

What options does my student have with regard to transportation to and from school?
Students may use the Duluth Transit Authority (DTA) or may drive to the school. We will provide DTA passes for all students who intend to use DTA services and we also make mileage reimbursement available to students living outside the DTA system. Students who wish to drive may apply to use their bus pass money for a parking stipend. If you are interested in one of these options, please fill out the Transportation Options form below.
What is your attendance policy at HCIS?
We believe that regular school attendance is directly related to success in academic work. Furthermore, the State Department of Education and the Minnesota Mandatory Attendance Law require students to attend all classes and/or study halls every day school is in session. Students, parents, and schools share the responsibility for attendance. We realize, however, that on occasion it will be necessary for a student to be absent from school. In order for an absence to be excused, a parent must notify the school within 24 hours of an absence, and the absence must meet one of the following criteria:
  • Sickness of the student
  • Sickness in the student’s immediate family
  • Danger of imminent exposure to illness
  • Medical or dental treatment
  • Important events requiring student participation (with advance notification/approval)
  • Temporary absence from the city (with advance approval upon personal request of a parent/guardian, unless the situation is an emergency)
  • Other reasons verified by a parent/guardian and mutually acceptable to both parent/guardian and school administration.
For students to receive full credit for work missed in a class due to absence from the city, students must have their teacher sign an advance absence form and must turn it in to the main office before leaving. In the case of emergency, students must make arrangements with their teachers upon returning to school.

Students who accrue more than 15 absences in a class per semester, excused or unexcused, will lose credit for the class. Students may appeal the loss of credit by following the process laid out in the Student Handbook.
What is your food and drink policy?

No food or drinks allowed in any classroom, carpeted area or near any computers except for beverages in sealable, spill-proof containers. Cans, milk cartons and coffee shop cups are prohibited in classrooms, on carpeted areas and near computers. Students are allowed, and encouraged to have water bottles.

Are students allowed to leave campus during school hours?
Students in 9th and 10th grades are not allowed to leave campus during school hours; however, we do allow 11th and 12th graders to leave during lunch and on school-related business during the day (provided that they have teacher permission). We expect our students to exemplify the HCIS core values of Respect, Responsibility, Relationship, Reach, and Resilience while they are off campus; and we will revoke or suspend off-campus privileges for students if they violate the 5 Rs while at school or in the community or if they return late to class after being off campus. We encourage you to review the details regarding our off-campus expectations for students, which you can find in our student handbook.
How can I keep track of my child's grades and find out how he’s doing on assignments?
We use the JMC student information system in order to help students coordinate assigned work and to allow parents to access information about grades and assignments. We highly encourage parents to access and review this information weekly with their students. You can access JMC through the quick link on the Home page; and if you have any questions regarding passwords or other JMC issues, please contact the main office.