Looking to join our team of professionals at Harbor City International School? If you have a strong educational vision that includes the values of academic rigor and personalized education, our school just might be the perfect fit for you.
On this page you can read up on the latest job openings at HCIS, and you can also find job applications and other forms and information for prospective employees.
Description: Harbor City International School Executive Director
The executive director at HCIS leads the school in achieving its mission and vision, oversees the day-to-day operations of the school, and maintains effective and efficient policies and procedures across the organization.
We are looking for an executive director who has strong, practical communication strategies, experience implementing organizational systems, and a demonstrated competency in supporting staff in a small public or college preparatory high school.
The executive director will:
- Collaborate with all stakeholders and build unity behind the mission of the school
- Implement programming to ensure students are successful at the school
- Cultivate leadership opportunities for teachers
- Provide a single point-of-contact; clearly identify and define an efficient decision making process
- Prioritize communication, build trust, and take accountability for these results
- Master’s Degree
- Two years organizational leadership experience
- Strong communication skills—both written and oral
- Ability to use and learn technology systems—at minimum word processing and spreadsheets
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, procedures, and programs specifically related to the operation of Minnesota charter schools
- Three or more years of classroom experience
- Knowledge in educational research relative to curriculum and instruction
- Experience working with a diverse student population
- Grant writing experience
- Ensures the quality of the educational programs by conducting/overseeing annual teacher evaluations, overseeing student conduct, and completing all required reporting
- Supervises and evaluates administrative staff—conducts evaluations yearly
- Ensures the financial strength of the school by overseeing general accounting and financial management and participate in the annual budget process
- Manages personnel decisions and legal affairs of the school
- Carries out the directives, goals, and vision set forth by the HCIS Board of Directors
- Attends monthly HCIS Board of Director meetings and assumes various committee responsibilities
- Maintains productive relationships with students, parents, staff, and public
- Maintains a school environment that supports the right of all students to an excellent public education
- Is visible and engaged in the school community
- Promotes the school in the greater community—leads the public relations activities of the school
- Develops short and long range goals and objectives, clearly articulate them, and guides staff through the steps to achieve them
- Provides leadership in curriculum development and professional development programs
- Assists with developing, growing, and evaluating meaningful extra and co-curricular student activity programming
- Maintains confidentiality
- Assists with other duties as may be assigned by the board of directors
- Empowers teacher-leaders within the school
- Supportive and encouraging of an environment where teachers utilize both innovative and traditional teaching models
- Fair and forthright in interpersonal communications
- Even tempered when faced with situations that are frustrating, ambiguous, and high pressured
How to apply: (Salary commensurate with experience)
A complete application will include -
- Letter of introduction
- A current and complete resume
- Three letters of recommendation
- We may request additional supporting material of finalists for this position
Position available until filled.
The Minnesota Association of Charter Schools, on behalf of Harbor City International School, posts this position. For more information on this and other job openings available in Minnesota charter schools, please visit the Minnesota Association of Charter School website.
Harbor City International School is a college preparatory, public high school. We are a small community whose mission is to nurture a sense of belonging, insist upon academic excellence, and graduate global citizens who eagerly pursue knowledge and enrich their communities.
Harbor City International School
Minnesota Reward School for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Authorizer is Volunteers of America (612-270-1998)
Located in downtown Duluth near Canal Park and Lake Superior
Our student population is 215; our average class size is 18.